Saturday, January 8, 2011

Slow Cooker Chili | Slow Cooker Recipes NZ

You know what?  I almost never brown anything in a pan before I put it in the slow cooker!  I like to get into the kitchen, load up the crock pot and get out and get on with the things I really want to do.  I don't want to be stuck in the kitchen fiddling around and then doing dishes.  So even if the recipe (like this one) says to brown something... just know, if you are time poor, you don't have too :)

The only down side to this... umm... laziness, is that I have to buy the more expensive cut of minced beef to make chili with.... but I'm okay with that! 

I like to stretch this recipe to make it with rice and salad one night and the with tortillas another night.

Where I do save money is buy cooking dried beans in bulk and freezing them.  Here's the link to my post about Crock Pot Beans - Cooking Times.


Enjoy!


Slow Cooker Chili

Serves 6
Cook on low for 8 hours

1 Tbsp olive oil (as above, only necessary if using a fry pan)
1 large brown onion, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, crushed
750g beef mince
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp prepared chilli
1 Cup beef stock
½ Cup tomato paste
820g canned crushed tomatoes and juice
800g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
½ Cup fresh coriander leaves, shredded (for garnish)

Heat oil in a large skillet and scramble fry the garlic and onion.
Add the beef, cumin, oregano and chilli, scramble fry until meat is browned.
Pour into slow cooker, add stock, paste, tomatoes and juice, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Add beans, cook on high until hot - approx 30 minutes. Check seasonings.
To serve, add the coriander garnish and serve with sour cream, taco chips or warmed tortillas or rice, and a salad.

Previous Post: Crock Pot Beans - Cooking Times



Find more slow cooker recipes for Kiwis (and other cooks who use metric measurements here at... Slow Cooker Recipes NZ - and check this out - the easiest way to see all my Slow Cooker Recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment