Saturday, September 18, 2010

Slow Cooker Soup | Chili Bean Chowder

On a chilly day is nice to have a bowl of steaming hot crock pot bean soup to look forward to, for either lunch or dinner. A blend of beans, tomatoes and spices with vegetables is one of my favourite starting points to inventing new slow cooker soup recipes, and one of my favourites to eat too! Actually, it's a hard call between a hearty bean soup like this one and my pumpkin soup!

Today the weather forecasters here were saying the ski fields throughout the country would be closed this weekend due to snow storm conditions expected. I hear that as a great time to make a "winter warmer" soup like this one.

I like to keep my slow cooker busy, so when I have nothing else planned for it, I will often cook up a batch of red kidney beans and freeze them, so they are on hand for recipes that call for them. Have you seen the post about Slow Cooker Beans to learn how to cook the red kidney beans in your slow cooker – and save yourself some cash! You should get about 3 meals for 4 people from a 500g bag of dried red kidney beans – compare the price of a bag of beans to even just 3 cans of beans, you'll soon see why I say my slow cooker saves me money!

Chili Bean Chowder | Slow Cooker Soup

Serves 4
Cook on low 4 to 6 hours

1 onion finely chopped
2 ribs of celery sliced finely
2 carrots finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 cup boiling vegetable stock
½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp dried coriander
¼ tsp ground cumin
440g/14oz can crushed tomatoes in juice
440g/14oz can red kidney beans or mixed beans

Add all ingredients to slow cooker, stir to combine, cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours or until onion is tender.

Serve as is, or blend all or some of soup until smooth, reheat to serve.

Check and adjust seasonings as necessary, serve with a crusty loaf or rolls.

Previous Post: Crock Pot Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes

Review Slow Cooker Recipes NZ by category - the easiest way to see all my Slow Cooker Recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment