Monday, September 24, 2012

Slow Cooker Curry | Slow Cooker Sausage Recipes | Slow Cooker Recipes NZ

I discovered my supermarket has really good quality beef sausages (who knew!)  I was so surprised they don't swell up in the slow cooker or burst or do anything nasty in the pan when I'm browning them, so here's another recipe I invented on the fly this week when I felt like slow cooker curried sausages.

You know I don't normally brown anything, but these sausages seemed like they would look better on the plate if I browned them up a little before putting them in the slow cooker... so seeing as how I had the pan out, I browned the onions....well you'll see!  I just want you to know, if you've not come across my blog before, I don't normally brown anything in my recipes!

Slow Cooker Curry | Slow Cooker Sausage Recipes
Slow Cooker Sausage Recipes

2 onions, peeled and chopped into large dice
2 green apples, peeled and chopped into large dice
1 Tblsp Italian or mixed herbs
1 Tblsp garlic granules (or 2 cloves fresh crushed)
1 Tblsp curry powder
1/2 cup of sultanas
440g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
440g diced tomatoes (they had no juice)
2 Tblsp Bisto or Gravox (or plain flour)
2 tsp low sodium beef stock powder
1 to 1.5 cups of water (depends on how much juice in tomatoes)
8 low fat, low sodium beef sausages
  • Turn slow cooker on to low to warm up.
  • Add a little butter into a pan and brown the onions, add the apples once the onions are starting to change colour and just kind of stir fry to keep them from sticking - just looking for a bit of attractive colour on the onions.
  • To the pan add the herbs, garlic, and curry powder and give it a good stir and let it start to heat through.
  • Add the sultanas and beans.  (My tomatoes had nearly no juice, so I needed more water in next step.)
  • Turn heat off but leave pan on stove.
  • In a jug add the gravy mix and stock powder, and 1/2 cup of the water, mix vigorously until it's a smooth paste, add water to make the mix up to one cup and stir again until smooth, add to pan.
  • Stir to combine and add sauce mix to slow cooker base.
  • Don't wash pan, just add a dash of oil, return to heat and brown up the sausages.  Once browned nicely all over, add into a single layer on top of the sauce in the slow cooker, press them into the sauce.
  • Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Previous Post: Slow Cooker Beef Stew | Swiss Steak Style |Slow Cooker Recipes NZ
    Find more slow cooker recipes for Kiwis, Aussies (and other cooks who use metric measurements) here at... Slow Cooker Recipes NZ - and check this out - the easiest way to see all my Slow Cooker Recipes!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment