Monday, September 3, 2012

Slow Cooker Sausage Recipes | Italian Beef Sausage Casserole

Today seemed like the perfect day to create a new slow cooker sausage casserole.  It was cool and dark rain clouds were gathering on the horizon when I was out walking this morning.

You may have noticed, but I pretty much don't use packets of this and cans of that in my recipes, unless the ingredient list is simple stuff like "tomatoes, water" and not much else!  I try to keep our diet free from preservatives and additives - within reason!  It takes a bit longer to put stuff together, but for my money, it's worth it.

Also, I know you noticed I almost never brown anything before I put it in the crock pot, except the onions in my primo Pumpkin Soup recipe.  But the beef sausages looked like they would be better browned and then that gave me the excuse to brown the onions and deglaze the pan with balsamic vinegar and a tiny bit of stock - anyway, let's get into it!

Italian Beef Sausage Casserole | Slow Cooker Recipes NZ

2 x 440g cans Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or red kidney beans if preferred)
700g jar ready made pasta sauce (or 2 x 440ml cans tomato paste)
2 onions chopped finely
1 Tblsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tblsp low beef stock (yay, I found a low-sodium one this week!)
1/3 cup water
500-600g low fat, low sodium all beef sausages (my pack had 8)
1 Tblsp garlic granules
1 Tblsp Italian herbs
2 bay leaves
  • Put the beans and tomato into the crockpot base and set to low to warm up.
  • Fire up the stove and brown the onions, when done add the balsamic vinegar and stir to coat.
  • Add the beef stock and water to the onions and stir to combine in the pan.
  • Add the onion mix to the slow cooker, stir to combine.
  • Brown sausages lightly in the pan.
  • While the sausages do their thing, keep an eye on them, making sure they brown all over and add the herbs and spices to the slow cooker.  Give it a good stir.
  • Add the sausages in one layer and press them into the tomato sauce.
  • Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
To serve, thicken*with a sprinkling of 1-2 tablespoons for Gravox or Bisto, if necessary.
Taste and adjust seasonings.
I took the sausages out and cut them up into fine rings before returning them to the thickened sauce.
Remember to find and discard the two bay leaves.

Serve with creamy mash - or over pasta, with seasonal steam veggies and or salad.

*I would not have thickened the sauce if I was serving over pasta.

A perfect meal on a cooler evening. Enjoy!


Find more slow cooker recipes for Kiwis, Aussies (and other cooks who use metric measurements) here at... Slow Cooker Recipes NZ - and check this out - the easiest way to see all my Slow Cooker Recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment